Thursday, December 23, 2010

Album of the Week 4 - A Christmas Miracle

I've had this album for about 20 years.


I remember buying it in grad school just because it was "Shell presents." I can't quite pass up something that merges oil with vinyl. It's survived 10 moves and several purges (one where my collection went down to about 100 records). The amazing thing is I never played it. What did I find when I finally did? - A Christmas Miracle!


it has the wrong vinyl, it has the vinyl from this album.


The production is creepy, everything is really slow and a little out of tune. If Quenton Tarantino ever does a Christmas movie this should be the sound track. Especially Oh, Come all Ye Faithful by Schulmerich "Carillon Americana" which sounds a bit like an Ennio Morricone tune, full of forboding and dread. And just when your completely depressed you get a coked up version of Jingle Bells by the Four Aces.



The best part is this album has been played into the ground. The vinyl is thrashed and full of scratches, pops and hisses. I just imagine a family having to listen to it every year over and over and over again. Until finally someone gets up the nerve to put it into the wrong sleeve and hide it away.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment