Thursday, April 19, 2012

Graphics and 9 days to go!


My gallery Susanne Vielmetter Los Angeles Projects has been a huge help with this race car project.  Supporting me on USA Artists, Letting me have a garage sale in the gallery and generally putting up with my rather scattershot approach to my career.  They've definitely earned the title Sponsor.

Doing the graphics was my challenge.  I didn't want vinyl lettering - it looks way too contemporary.  My initial thought was to do a stencil but that didn't work.


Then I thought I'd use a sign painting brush and run a little border around it.  Basically, it was really sloppy and a very bad choice of colors.


So I sanded it down and used the shadow of the stencil as a starting point.  It came together and I actually learned a bit.  For example that Cooper Black font is pretty easy to do on the side of a car.  The paint wants to run down and that feeds the blobby lower part of the letter.


It's not perfect and could use a little help but it feels like something from on of the early races.

-thanks Susanne!



1 comment:

  1. You know it we didn't have computers and all the fonts easily at hand back then. I remember during lettering and numbers as a kid on sign and perhaps even a race car or two. Look great.
    Can't wait to see the finished product before the race. Sister Patty

    ReplyDelete